EuroTube is a professional team of engineers, scientists and mission operatives who build Europe’s first test infrastructure for vacuum transportation that can operate vehicles efficiently in the target speed regime of 700 to 900 km/h – a minimal requirement for vactrain concepts. Accommodating the interest of universities and engineering companies who need test facilities to develop the technology in a sustainable way, EuroTube provides a non-profit testing platform with a 3km-long, -scaled and accessible vacuum tube in Switzerland. Hence EuroTube is growing an interdisciplinary team that is responsible for the design, engineering and construction of key elements of this infrastructure.
Background Description for the Civil Engineer
EuroTube is studying and prototyping to construct the vacuum chamber shell using an innovative material called textile reinforced concrete (TRC) – sometimes also advertised as Vibranium. As TRC has never been used for such purposes, the shell requires multiple prototyping iterations before the construction deployment. Extensive experimental work has been performed and further validation tests are targeted for:
- Strength behaviour of TRC under dynamic loading
- Global airtightness properties of TRC
- Industrial manufacturing of joints
- Industrial shell casting processes
The responsibility of the Civil Engineer will be to lead the next series of tests and prototyping work, and to interact with EuroTube’s partners and suppliers during the design and installation of the shell in the final system.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Iterate and improve results of points 1-4 presented above.
- Take prototype to the next series testing, which involves:
- Integrate tube to pump flange connection to test global system for airtightness
- Improve casting process efficiency
- Iterate with new material coatings to improve local airtightness properties
- Optimise processes with external partners and suppliers
- Coordination, supervision and hands-on drive in the design and construction processes
- M.Sc. in Civil Engineering with focus on Structural Engineering
- Practical experience in structural design and concrete structures
- Fluent in English and French and/or German
- Team player and entrepreneurial curiosity to work in a highly dynamic environment
- Own initiative and proactive ability to independently lead designated studies and prototyping work
If you are interested in learning more about joining our team, please send us your CV together with a few motivational sentences.