EuroTube is a professional team of engineers, scientists and mission operatives who build Europe’s first test infrastructure for vacuum transportation that can operate vehicles efficiently in the target speed regime of 700 to 900 km/h – a minimal requirement for vactrain concepts. Accommodating the interest of universities and engineering companies who need test facilities to develop the technology in a sustainable way, EuroTube provides a non-profit testing platform with a 3km-long, -scaled and accessible vacuum tube in Switzerland. Hence EuroTube is growing an interdisciplinary team that is responsible for the design, engineering and construction of key elements of this infrastructure.
Background Description for the Dynamics Analyst
EuroTube provides a test track for speeds of over 800 km/h, placing considerable demands on the rigidity and geometric tolerances of the track, which in turn drives the cost for manufacturing and the rails mounting structure. Despite the touchless methods of levitation, propulsion and guidance systems, small displacements of the corresponding rails can lead to very strong dynamic forces between these rails and the corresponding parts of the vehicle leading to high loads on the rails structures and potentially critical dynamic vehicle behaviour. The dynamics analyst models the interaction between the vehicle and the track for different parameters (precision & geometry of track, speed, vehicle concept and geometry) to assess the forces on the two counterparts, the resulting running smoothness and ultimately the requirements for the rails tolerances and mounting structures. Using this as a crucial input, the dynamics analyst leads the design for the track and mounting structures of its rails.
- Building a model for the vehicle dynamics (e.g. Simulink model)
- Performing dynamics analysis between vehicle and track under consideration of various parameters (speed, track geometry and tolerances, vehicle concept and geometry)
- Defining requirements for track tolerances & mounting structure
- Performing the design of the track and its rails and elaborating a mounting concept
- Interfacing with industry partners and suppliers for the necessary construction materials and equipment for the rail assembly and track integration
- BSc. or higher degree in applicable engineering fields or physics
- Experience in systems & dynamics modeling and simulation
- Team player and entrepreneurial curiosity to work in a highly dynamic environment
- Own initiative and ability to independently lead designated studies and hardware design
If you are interested in learning more about joining our team, please send us a few motivational sentences together with some background information.